Saturday, June 22, 2013

Rockin' Jelly Bean: ロックンロールペンとインクを満たしている!




When it comes to cars, girls and monsters, there's no one in the world of contemporary illustration that renders them quite like the amazing artist, Rockin' Jelly Bean. One of Japan's premire illustrators, Jelly combines west coast kustom kar kulture esthetics, with subcultural references and erotic pinup girls.

Saddling two cities, Rockin' Jelly Bean seamlessly melds the two world together to create amazing and original artwork which is reproduced for the masses in silkscreen posters, cloths and more recently beach towels
Following in the foot steps of the likes of Robert Williams, with his lo-brow figurative graphics and Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, with his anti-hero Rat Fink, Rockin' Jelly Bean has carved out his own niche in the world of art graphics. 

True to his name, Rockin' Jelly Bean is also a fantastic bass player in the amazing Tokyo surf combo Jackie and The Cedrics, as well local Los Angeles favs The Chopsticks. The energy he puts into his live shows are only equaled in the energy that explode off the page in his illustrations. 

The following interview, along with photographs I have taken of Jelly here in Los Angeles, was a chance to catch up with an old friend and to get a peek into the colorful world of Rockin' Jelly Bean,

Coma ni-ci!

Julie Pavlowski Green
June 22, 2013




Julie Pavlowski Green: Do you work with just paint or do you incorporate digital media?


Rockin' Jelly Bean: I use it in various ways. But basically, I scan the art works which I drew with pencil and attach color with PC.  I sometimes roughen a touch through a copier before scanning. All the printing office and the print factories accept it by data now. When I started drawing, it was all manual labor. When I sell the original picture, I use the acrylics for canvas.

JPG: What is your favorite Monster movie?



RJB: "Godzilla"!!! I wanted to say that, but, I who was crosspatch didn’t watch much Godzilla movie when I was kids. It is King Kong of 1976! I remember that I watched that many times in theater.

JPG: Why wear the Mexican wrestling mask? 

RJB: I do not want to show very much the scar on my face which was made at the time of a motorcycle accident.  This is a nom de plume. It is the stage name of my band.


JPG: When did you start drawing? 




RJB: I don’t remember that, probably I think it to be the drawing which I described in the class of kindergarten. I was the child who always drew graffitis and played around in childhood.

JPG: What bands have you been in over the years?

RJB: I play the bass in a Japanese surfing band called “Jackie & The Cedrics” for 23 years. I still continue it.  And also when I lived in L.A., I played the bass in the bubble-gum punk band called "The Chopsticks".






JPG:  When did you join Jackie and The Cedrics?

RJB: It is a strange story, but Enocky the guitar player and drummer for Jackie and I were brought together by force by a certain guy.  The man is old Japanese crazy Ventures geek called Mr. X.  We were abducted and we were given costumes and musical instruments and force to 
practice. Cedrics began like that.

JPG:  Have you ever been involved with Manga?

RJB: I gave up the dream in childhood. 


JPG: When did The Chopsticks start as a band?

RJB: I think that start 2002 or 3. Momo of The Go-Devils moved in to L.A., and we were tempted by Lazy Cowgirls drummer Roy. And I was introduced to Roy who was a mutual friend of Wild Ox. Because I usually did old-fashioned zombie garage bands, a new thing wanted to do us. 

And also it was the once-in-a-lifetime chance that it could do band with Roy! We carried out activity only for just a little over two years, but it was very very fun. I still remember excitement on the way home of the first show at the Garage! Oh, we miss California sun...



JPG:  What are you driving these days?

RJB:  I do not drive very much after I (moved) back to Japan. I get on the train. It is a substitution for it. Train is fun! So many various people getting on, and I like observing them. I can watch very many beautiful girls in Tokyo!

JPG:  When did you first visit America? 


RJB:  I came to U.S.A. on a tour with Cedrics in 1992.  At first, I was surprised at all being reverse to Japan. I saw all in a “POP” to my eyes! The neon light which (I) thought that were fantastically cool which stopped to my eyes when I ran by car at night was the neon of the laundryman...


JPG:  When did you start Erostika, the Rockin' Jelly Bean store in Harajuku? 

RJB:  I did not begin that shop. It is the shop of Wild OX, who was a friend of mine in L.A. and early member of The Chopsticks. Maimai who worked on my old brand “Erosty pop!” started it with Wild OX when they wanted to do something about me in Japan nine years ago. 


JPG:  Who is your all time favorite bass player?

RJB:  Bruce Foxton of The JAM!!!  I began to play bass to see his stage action.



Rockin' Jelly Bean's illustrations for my band The Checkers
JPG:  Your work is very sensual. What illustrators were you most influenced by?

RJB:  There are very, very many (of) them! However, it would have to be R.Crumb and Robert Williams. R.Crumb opened the gate of the opening of the sex to me. He is God for me. In addition, works of Osamu Tezuka and Go Nagai of the Japanese great old comic artist is in my blood and meat and is constructed.

JPG: Who is your favorite pinup girl?

RJB: This is not a pinup girl, but my dream girl is Phoebe Cates!



JPG: I know this is an obvious question but why do you draw pinup girl themes? 

RJB: The naked woman is cool and beauty is stronger than a man!

JPG: How did you end up doing a t-shirt for The Rolling Stones?

RJB: There was a phone call from Mick before Japan tour.

JPG:  What are you working on right now?

RJB: I have project of two figure dolls now. One is “Mystique of X-MEN in collaboration characters with the Marvel Comics. The other is company called “Wing” which makes the devil girl of my poster character. Both figure dolls are very pretty and cute! 

I am drawing main visual of the documentary film of the band Teengenerate  called “GET ACTION!!” which will be shown this autumn. They are doing a re-union show only once in Japan and USA. Of course The 5,6,7,8's and Cedrics, The Rip Offs, Phantom Surfers and Devil Dogs also appear in this, too. I (am) really looking forward to seeing (it) and I feel very honored that I can be engaged in this.

I have big annual Erostika event in September. And finally, my 1st art book is going to release this winter. I worked on it for almost six years. 
This book will be filled with art work I created in L.A. before coming back to Japan. It will feature mainly original art works, and shows old print technology. It's gonna be an interesting book!





No comments:

Post a Comment