Saturday, March 22, 2014

I've Got A Thingie For Jumbo Shrimp


The Bay Area instrumental combo Jumbo Shrimp, led by the seminal Rock n' Roller - Klaus Flouride, provided just the right amount of surf mixed with a bit of hoe down, spy n' spaghetti western to make you want to listen to their 7 song CD "Thingie" over and over again.

Released in 1997 on Flouride Treatment Records, "Thingie" is a thing of beauty. Crafted by a roster of über talented musicians who put their own spin on surf instrumental music, while covering several tunes that when written, were no closer to the beach than the south plains of Lubbock, Texas.

Who could possibly pull off a surf version of a Weezer song, sliding a sprinkle of Morricone into another, while balancing  a spy movie soundtrack in under 30 minutes of listening pleasure? Klaus Flouride and East Bay Ray can, that's who!

Managed by the Tiki King himself, Otto von Stroheim, Jumbo Shrimp was a band that although were around for a short period, left an indelible mark. I recently caught up with Klaus and Ray, and along with shots I took of the band in my San Francisco studio back in 1998, I present to you my interview with Jumbo Shrimp. 

The buffet is open,

Julie Pavlowski Green
March 22, 2014


How did the band form?

KLAUS FLOURIDE: Literally I was thinking of my first band in Jr. High School and thought it would be fun to revisit that kind of band just for fun. An A. list was formed and within the next week I called everyone and all the A list agreed, so it was sort of a lark, but I got my favorite musicians that I thought would like to do a primarily instrumental group in the “Ventures” style.

How long was Jumbo Shrimp around for?

KF: I think 2 ½ - 3 years.

Who are all the members in the band?

KF: The Original line up was Me, East Bay Ray and John Singer on guitars, Chuck “Lucky” Lindo on bass and Dave Scheff on drums. Then Chuck moved on and Greg Reeves took over on bass, as well as Dave Scheff moving on and Dana Burt taking over on drums

Would you consider Jumbo Shrimp a straight up surf instrumental band?

KF:  Not exactly, we incorporated sounds from 60’s Brit bands and spaghetti westerns styles and such as well as instrumental covers of 90’s alt. rock bands. Also newer toys for the guitars. A lot more fuzz and not always as much reverb. And our motto was “3 guitars, no waiting”.

It has been quoted Klaus, that you said “there are three lead guitars, which automatically eliminates the tedium of waiting for your favorite style and tone. Three guitars, no waiting." Were you consciously trying to combine 3 different styles in one song?

KF: See the above motto. We all tried to incorporate different sounds into the tunes but not necessarily all in one tune.

We all know Ray and Klaus were in The Dead Kennedys and Chuck "Lucky" Lindo was in Actionslacks, but what other bands have each of you been in?
Klaus Flouride

KF: Dave was and I think still is in Translator and Itchy Kitty, Chuck has The American Professionals, John was in the Zip Code Rapists and The David Brian Band, Ray has The Killer Smiles, I have Gravy’s Drop and The Go-Going-Gone Girls. Actually I have no Idea which and how many bands all of us have been in. The classic line too numerous to mention I think fits snuggly in here.

What was your most memorable gig with Jumbo Shrimp?

KF: One of the most memorable was playing three sets @ The Beach Chalet in SF. We had about 2 sets worth of material. It got pretty noisy by the end, plus we did a cover of the R.E.M. song (again instrumentally) "It’s the End of the World as We Know It" and some of the members were there, so that was fun.

East Bay Ray
How long did it take to make “Thingie”?

KF: We recorded the basics in our practice space and did overdubs at my home studio. Maybe a total spread out over a couple of months.

I see The Neanderdolls did back up on “Mersey Beach”. Was it the whole band or just Barbara?

KF: I think it was Barbara, Julie and Lexie shouting 1 – 2 READY ROCK! before the key change.


What is your favorite surf instrumental record of all time?

KF:  That’s a hard one. I’ll hand it over to Ray.

EAST BAY RAY: Here's three: Miserlou - Dick Dale, Pipeline - The Chantays, Penetration - The Pyramids, oh four, Telestar - The Tornados


Have you ever gone surfing?

KF: No. I know my coordination level and I choose to live.

EBR: Yes, but not much, it was in Northern California and the water was too cold! Would have been better to try in in Hawaii!

Who were your greatest inspirations on this record?

EBR: The recording "Ventures in Space" by The Ventures

KF: The Trashmen and yes, The Ventures too.

What “Thingie” were you referring to?

 KF: That would be telling.

What projects are you working on now?

EBR:  Currently I'm involved in being an artist advocate to help artists, - musicians, filmmakers, photographers, writers, etc -  gain fair treatment from those who profit from their work.

KF: My abs.

Any chance we’ll get to see “Jumbo Shrimp” live again?

KF: People are pretty busy and scattered far and wide, but in life I’ve learned to never say never.           







No comments:

Post a Comment