Saturday, September 20, 2014

Cotton Clowndy from The Mask Series

"Cotton Clowndy No. 1" from The Mask Series

Nothing floats my boat more than clowns and amusement parks. I find it odd that people are afraid of clowns. I suppose I was brought up by a Mother who enjoyed getting scared by the supernatural and made me feel safe in the realm of the bizarre and unusual. There is nothing terrifying to me about a clown. Their colorful and flamboyant cloths coupled with face paint in exaggerated facial forms draws me in and gives me a thrill.

Cotton Clowndy is the 6th set of images from The Mask Series combining the absurdity and playfulness of a clown captured at an amusement park, Pacific Park on the Santa Monica Pier to be specific.

What was most interesting about this shoot was the person behind the mask. A terribly shy person, Clowndy surprised me with her enthusiasm and extroverted yet awkward gestures during the shoot. Her selection of the clown mask at first confused me since I thought she wouldn't be able to pull off such a gregarious character. In the end, it was exactly what she needed.

The mask allowed her to let her guard down and have some fun in front of a camera. Her simple zipped hoodie, jeans and flip flops are a foil for the usual clown costume and helps to transform the character into just a regular person having fun at a fair, one that we can all relate to.

Once again, two limited edition prints from this set are available through my Etsy store.

For the clown inside us all,

Julie Pavlowski Green
September 20, 2014

 



"Cotton Clowndy No. 2" from The Mask Series
"Cotton Clowndy No. 3" from The Mask Series

"Cotton Clowndy No. 4" from The Mask Series
"Cotton Clowndy No. 5" from The Mask Series
"Cotton Clowndy No. 6" from The Mask Series


No comments:

Post a Comment