Saturday, September 5, 2015

California County Fairs: A Lecture at the LA Public Library



I recently gave a lecture at the Los Angeles Public Library which focused on a series I have been working on called "California County Fairs". This photographic series has been evolving over the past two years and by laying out the images into a cohesive narrative for this lecture, I was able to see the direction it has taken and where it needs to go. 


It was an honor to present this body of work and a good challenge for me to select, organize, and ruminate over the various themes that had developed over time. With over 50 rolls of film, I began scanning the heros and ended up selecting 90 images for the lecture presentation.


You can watch the lecture in its entirety by click on the photograph below:

"Alameda County Fair No. 8" 2014


With 47 county fairs to go, it looks like I will be working on this project for years to come. In the mean time, I look forward to visiting each county and capturing their unique twist on a timeless theme.

See you at the Fair!

Julie Green
September 5, 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment