Saturday, September 17, 2016

Hong Kong Market Portraits

"Graham Street Portraits No. 2" 2016

Graham Street Market is the longest running sidewalk market in central Hong Kong. It is filled with vendors hawking everything from vegetables, meat and seafood to cleaning products, dishes and trinkets.

Last week I walked around the market stalls and produced a set of portraits I present to you here. They differ from my Norwich Market Portraits for I was taking these pictures unbeknownst to the subjects. I did not interact with them and they did not see me, although a few caught on to me as I walked by.

Growing up in San Francisco, I always had a reverence and fascination with the stores in Chinatown. Culturally different and a bit mysterious, this feeling of awe and curiosity still filled me as I wandered up and down the hilly streets peering into a world that contained unfamiliar products and smells.

Although these portraits were taken on the sly, they still capture the hard working ethic which can be see throughout the market stalls of the world and you can feel the camaraderie that these environments produce for the hawkers of Hong Kong.

Julie Green
September 17, 2016

"Graham Street Portraits No. 10" 2016
"Graham Street Portraits No. 13" 2016

"Graham Street Portraits No. 16" 2016

"Graham Street Portraits No. 22" 2016
"Graham Street Portraits No. 28" 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment