Saturday, October 8, 2016

4th of July in Bungay

4th of July in Bungay,  2016



I look at my daughter constantly. She is my visual nectar and my thirst to observer and take in her essence is never satiated. As a photographer I have taken many, many photographs of her likeness but none have capture the details up close in quite the same way. There is an intimacy that is lost in a single portrait.

So I decided to construct an image I felt emphasized and exaggerated each detail I lingered on. By employing my weaving technique, I started with a portrait I recently took of her on the 4th of July. 

This year, we found ourselves visiting a friend in Bungay, a market town in the English countryside of Suffolk. There were no celebrations of course and her lovely red, white and blue dress, with its stars and stripes, did not register with the local townsfolk. Spending any holiday abroad feels different. But spending a very American holiday in the United Kingdom was a bit jarring. 

I feel that this woven portrait successfully captures the very feeling I had that day while at the same time capturing the details and drawing the viewers eye to areas of my subject which I wanted to punctuate.

Julie Green
October 8, 2016



No comments:

Post a Comment