Saturday, March 4, 2017

Detritus in Water and Sand

"Big Sur No.1" from The Detritus Series

Here are a few new portraits of nature for my Detrius Series. These forms crafted from the ocean to the desert were set in plaster against a light absorbing flat black duvateen. The contrast elevated these stunning structures to artistic forms that I feel help highlight their natural structures.

In Big Sur I found Sea Oak with their pod shaped "air bladders" curled into a natural form. The salt that remained clung to the seaweed echoed the sand covered shapes I found out in Twentynine Palms. Grasses and fallen redwood fronds rounded out the natural flora I found to and from the sea.

The more extreme environment found out in the low desert of Twentynine Palms was reflected in the gnarled and spiky sticks and yucca bark I chose to photograph. Twisted and sharp, these pieces looked like they had been dried from the inside out creating exaggerated natural patterns and forms that were in high contrast to the smooth plaster I dipped them in.

I'm happy with the results and look forward to future walks where I collect specimens to photograph for this lovely series of portraits.

Julie Green
March 4, 2017

"Big Sur No.2" from The Detritus Series

"Big Sur No.3" from The Detritus Series

"Twentynine Palms No.1" from The Detritus Series

"Twentynine Palms No.2" from The Detritus Series

"Twentynine Palms No.3" from The Detritus Series

1 comment: