Saturday, September 16, 2017

Norwich Market Portraits 3


"Norwich Market Portraits No. 1" 2017

It's the third year in a row I've documented merchants in Norwich Market. There is an undeniable feeling of joy that washes over me when I'm shooting these portraits. It becomes almost overwhelming, a knowing that draws me to these people and their market stalls. It could be that the images to me are timeless. When an image is timeless, I know I've got the shot.

This year, I was happy to see so many smiles across so many faces. It could be that we arrived at the beginning of August and summer was having a positive effect on my subjects. The first set I shot back in 2015 was in the month of April when it's still quite cold and damp in Norwich. Hot tea and warm coats were prevalent, as well as a less jovial countanance. The second set I photographed back in 2016 was taken in September under white puffy clouds which quickly floated by above us. The harsh weather was yet to decend upon the market stalls and a few more smiles were detected.

While I was shooting these portraits this year, a photographer from the Easter Daily Press approached me wondering what I was up to. He was interested in my camera, my accent and my fascination with the sellers in the market stalls. Antony Kelly ended up photographing me in the process. As a photographer I'm sure he understood and appreciated the rich wealth of visual information the merchants and the backdrop of their products provided.




Julie Green
September 16, 2017


"Norwich Market Portraits No. 2" 2017


"Norwich Market Portraits No. 3" 2017



"Norwich Market Portraits No. 4" 2017



"Norwich Market Portraits No. 5" 2017



"Norwich Market Portraits No. 6" 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment