Saturday, April 21, 2018

Flora as Fashion: Elise Wille

Flora as Fashion: Elise Wille


Deviating from following the exact line of the vegetation surrounding my model, I constructed a floral patterned high-waisted skirt instead. I suppose it was the architectural element of the building behind Elise that inspired me to come up with a different approach to this image. 

It was also the vertical nature of the Bird of Paradise she was standing in that hindered construction of a skirt. I just didn't see how I could build apparel that would come up from the ground and still look like something she could wear. I played around with shapes and forms until I loosened my self imposed restrictions of only working within the framework of the surrounding plants and ended up fabricating this lovely tropical sarong.

The color choice was certainly inspired by the vibrant flowering heads of the fan shaped crown. A native to South America, Bird of Paradise has thrives in warm climates and coincidentally is the official flower of the city of Los Angeles.

I will be taking a break from stitching for a few weeks to turn my attention to interviewing local bands I fancy but will return again with a new batch for this Flora as Fashion series.

Julie Green
April 21, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment