Saturday, June 30, 2018

Electric Sun Shadows

"Electric Sun Shadow No. 1" 2018

Seeing patterns in the shadows below my feet has kept me amused and delighted. I find beauty all around me when I turn my attention to the world around us and take the time to just look. These electric sun shadows are a fine example of finding beauty and significance in the most random patterns of my daily life. My eye is always searching for connections and meaningfulness in simple forms and markings.

In this latest batch of images I've created for my Sun Shadow series, I've expanded my fascination with shadows cast from objects close by (such as stairs, slides and steps), to confining shadows cast from objects from above. They have become more like drawings, separate from their template. They exist in the frame of my lens independent from the world around them.

These electric sun shadows were cast from the old electric pole lines that still traverse the neighborhood in which I work. Their presence is an unusual one here in Southern California where less wires hanging overhead. The distribution lines on the old wooden utility poles and their porcelain insulators, space dampers and crossarms remind me of the electric poles and wires more heavily used in San Francisco.

I know at some point in our technological evolution these items will begin to disappear from our landscape with wireless mechanizations. Until that time, I'll continue to enjoy the unique patterns they made with the sun.

Julie Green
June 30, 2018




"Electric Sun Shadow No. 2" 2018



"Electric Sun Shadow No. 3" 2018



"Electric Sun Shadow No. 4" 2018

"Electric Sun Shadow No. 5" 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment