Saturday, April 19, 2014

Hopping Down The Honeycomb Trail


Many of you who have been reading my blog for the past year know that I am obsessed with collecting Hallmark honeycomb centerpieces. From my first introduction to these decorations in my Mother's Thanksgiving centerpiece, to the start of my collection in a few rare Halloween honeycomb decorations, to my Christmas collection of these paper creations, which led to a plethora of backyard celebration pieces, I have obtained these items to craft a visual backdrop for every occasion so that my daughter will grow up with an appreciation for the whimsical 6T's graphics I cherish so much.

My honeycomb obsession has recently expanded now to include paper ornaments not made by Hallmark! Yes, I have succumbed to collecting honeycomb, plastic and tin ornaments that can hang from our Easter Tree. My daughter Edith was thrilled to be able to decorate the tree branch this year with the various pastel objects filled with bunny, chick and egg motifs.

Next year, I will feature my Easter Hallmark honeycomb centerpiece collection. For now, I hope you enjoy the visual world that I have created for the delight, enjoyment, and appreciation I hope Edie will come to remember as a childhood filled with magic and wonder.

Julie Pavlowski Green
April 19, 2014


We celebrated the vernal equinox by bringing the outdoors in. Reusing our homemade spray painted oak branch we had decorated at Christmas, we hung these symbols of Spring amidst Edie's collection of baskets and last years homemade easter eggs which are still waiting to be strung into a swag.


The adorable chicks below came in their original plastic trays but did not have any indication of the manufacturer, as the box was missing. I was thrilled by their honeycomb structure and immediately started collecting them. The graphics of the eyes definitely point towards a 6T's aesthetic. Their use of feathers for their tail, ribbon for their bows, and felt for their bow ties, feet and wings are right up my alley.




The following 4 birds are the newest honeycomb ornaments in my collection. Their color palette leans a bit more in the direction of Christmas, but once hung with the other Easter ornaments, they fit right in. Their delightful gold paper wings and beaks are charming and the sprinkle of glitter on their backs makes these sweet chicks stand out.





These bunnies are my personal favorite. The honeycomb shape itself reminds me of old outdoor Christmas lights! Their printed felt faces, paper ears and bow ties are cheerful, simple and graphic. The colors are vibrant which leads me to believe these ornaments were not use very much and did not see much day light. 




They arrived in this adorable box from Frank's Nursery and Crafts Inc. which has kept them clean and most of them uncrushed all these years. Apparently, Frank's was a chain store that sold lawn and garden products in 14 states. They were originally from Detroit and started their business in 1942 under the name Frank's Market. In 1980, they officially changed their name to Frank's Nursery and Crafts Inc. So these little darlings are from a later period than my 6T's standard but still retain a retro charm.


What is Easter time without the symbolic Egg? This ancient representation of rebirth, renewal and metamorphosis has long been an emblem for new beginnings. It is also recognized as the symbol of life and the replenishment of the harvest after a cold and dormant winter. They encapsulate the circle of life. These sweet honeycomb egg constructions are adorned with ribbon, flowers and bows that dress them up just a little bit more for displaying.




These egg decorations are also from Frank's Nursery and Crafts Inc. and come in their own cheerful box. At 39 cents each, they were a bargain back in 1980! That 6T's vibe is still reverberating in the cloud-like outline on top of the box and its groovy fonts. 


This is where I start to veer off into the tin Easter egg department. These eggs were originally candy containers that were made in England, Canada and Hong Kong. I made them into ornaments by clipping a piece of ribbon and snapping the two sides together. The lithos feature 6T's stylized bunnies, chicks, lambs and ducks.




I must admit, this collection of tin eggs stems from a dear childhood memory where I had won a prize and was able to choose one of these very eggs from an Easter Tree at Claremont Day Nursery in 
Kensington. I want to provide the opportunity for Edie to have her own delightful childhood memory, perhaps spurred from one these charming tin lithos, as I once had.





Lastly, I picked these plastic darlings up from The Little Flower Candy Co. down the street from us last year. Their charming color palette and hand painted vignettes started me on my way to collecting Easter ornaments. Although I never grew up around an "Easter Tree", I like starting new family traditions and this is definitely one of the them we will bring back year after year to enjoy and celebrate the arrival of Spring.







No comments:

Post a Comment