Saturday, February 11, 2017

Home as Hat: Robin Jackson

"Robin Jackson" 2017 from Home as Hat series


Fish scale shingles were the inspiration for this Home as Hat entry. The steep roof top Ms. Jackson posed in front of prompted me to think of the Victorian gables I frequently saw in San Francisco. The American Queen Anne Revival architecture seen by the Bay always reminded me of exquisitely decorated birthday cakes. Their turrets were usually covered in fish scale shingles with an inset bay window. Coupled with contrasting paint colors, these formidable ladies always appeared to be so regal yet comical at the same time, depending on the color combination.

Often described as "fancy cuts", the fish scales were also practical with their pattern of staggered and overlapping shingles which helped shed water efficiently.

This ornamental siding was not an easy to replicate in embroidery floss on paper. I had to improvise its rounded edges with a scalloped pattern but feel that the finished "Hat" gives a hint at my intention to replicate the layered details of these decorative shingles.

I love this party hat and it's range of pink hues. It makes me happy and although quite large for a human, it's exaggerated proportions makes me smile.

Julie Green
February 11, 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment