Saturday, April 22, 2017

Unhinged: Alex DeLarge



"Unhinged: Alex DeLarge No. 1" 2017

It's taken me two weeks to complete this next round of images but I think it's worth the wait. Alex DeLarge, the main character in Anthony Burgess' novel "A Clockwork Orange" was a perfect subject to investigate psychotic behavior in this new series of movie icons I'm exploring. Taking stills from Stanley Kubrick's 1971 masterful adaptation, I overlaid text from the book to highlight key moments in the movie.

Since the world seems to be unhinged at the moment, I thought it would be appropriate to not only observe the psychotic behavior of our current leader of the free world, but movies that explored and perhaps normalize this behavior. In "Unhinged: Norma Desmond", I concentrated on the delusional temperament of the fading movie star.

Here, I wanted to interpret Alex's lust for brutality and and his intelectual justification for it. As a metaphor for our modern day psyche, Alex helps me to better understand why we as a society have now devolved into a state of delusion and brutality.

Julie Green
April 22, 2017


"Unhinged: Alex DeLarge No. 2" 2017



"Unhinged: Alex DeLarge No. 3" 2017















No comments:

Post a Comment