Saturday, March 31, 2018

Flora as Fashion: Kirsten Andersen Thomas


Flora as Fashion: Kirsten Andersen Thomas


I've been thinking a lot about the surface of images this week. As I try to break free of the two dimensionality of photography by stitching into the photographic paper, the fact of the matter is - it still remains a surface when I once again photograph it to show you for this blog.

You need to see them in person. The fiber of the string creates the texture and depth that I've been striving for. Hopefully I can find a gallery or space to show these pieces so that you can indeed see them first hand.

Today's image for my new Flora as Fashion series was a labor of love. I spent every spare moment I had stitching this piece together. I quickly realized that the skirt needed to be extended to fit the agave in front of Kirsten. The scale needed to be adjusted to the proportions of the vegetation. I ended up with what I think is one of my finest pieces yet.

I've been excited by the challenge to interpret flora as a garment on my subjects. Unlike the confines of the structural architecture in my Home as Hat series, the organic nature of the greenery we are working with now is limitless! My subjects have willing to sit, stand and wrap themselves in plant life and I am grateful for their patience and enthusiasm.

Julie Green
March 31, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment