Saturday, October 6, 2018

Right on Track with The Fastbacks!




What a thrill it was to be in Seattle when The Fastbacks were playing Sub Pop's 30th Anniversary Music Festival! It was if no time had gone by since I last saw them play at The Bottom of The Hill in San Francisco a few years back (try 20). But their energy and unpretentiousness was still there and it was a joy ride from the first song to the last.

Below is a quick interview I did with Kurt Bloch who graciously gave me his time and insight into this pioneering Seattle band!

Julie Green
October 6, 2018


Julie Green: Did you grow up in Seattle?

Kurt Block: Yes indeed - Sand Point over there by Lake City!

JG: How his it NOT changed over the years?

KB: Well, kind hard to say. In the last few years some of the last outposts of the city I grew up in have been usurped by "progress". I don't mourn the passing of EVERY old building or business of the old days, but it's getting pretty dire out there. The "regular" places are really getting harder to find, micro-condos and ELEVATED dining experiences are the norm now. It's a different life out there for the young up-n-coming upwardly-mobiles. But I haven't been part of that anyway, so it's probably easier for met to look past it all, than for many.


JG: Did anyone in the band ever have a car with a fastback?

KB: No, Lulu had a mid-60's Mustang that we loved, it wasn't a fastback but when we were out walking around taking our first band photos in early 1980, we happened upon a share Mustang Fastback, and I reckon that was the sealant for the band name.

Kurt Bloch

JG: Your production of "Whenever You're Ready" and in particular the song "Woolworth" for the band Flop was, for me, a musical revelation. Are you still producing and recording these days?

KB: Yeah! Now did I actually record that? I think I only did the first and third Flop records, I know we did demos for that 2nd album, and I started mixing it when Martin Rushent was lat getting to the US to begin. Smashing album, that's a fact. They were one of the true Seattle greats.

Kim Warnick

Lulu Gargiulo

JG: When was Rusty Willoughby (singer, songwriter, guitarist for Flop) drumming in The Fastbacks?

KB: Rusty played drums when Nate Johnson (who also drummed for Flop) flew the coop in 1991. It left both bands without a drummer. I originally had my doubts about Rusty's prowess behind the kit. But we started an ongoing outfit called Sick Man of Europe and played the first Cheap Trick album start-to-finish, and Rusty was the drummer in that. So I knew he was quite capable at that point, it seemed an easy choice. Nate returned, Flop got busy, Mike Musburger stepped into the chair - with would've been 1992, I reckon.


JG: Besides playing a mind blowing set at the Sub Pop's 30th Anniversary music festival (where all of these image were shot), what have you been up to these days?

KB: Still recording and mixing bands - right now it's Ean from Sicko's new band The Subjunctives. They're doing a 4 song e.p., and The Filthy Friends, it's Corin Tucker, Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Linda Pitmon and I, a new record in the works. {!!!}

Also my own new band The Yes Masters, there's Young Fresh Fellows on the horizon, and a new 45 by The Sgt. Major III about to happen!


JG: If you could describe the tone of your Gibson as a flavor, what would that be?

KB: I reckon it'd be ice cream, but coated with shards of what LOOKS like glass, but is actually SUGAR!

JG: How did you end up producing Japan supergroup Supersnazz's amazing LP "Superstupid" for Sub Pop?


KB: I can't quite remember, but I think we met Supersnazz when they were here with American Soul Spiders, and I think we snuck them into a session at Egg Studio on a Sunday before they flew back to Japan. Of course it was killer, someone at Sub Pop caught on, and it all just made sense! What a killer LP that is! We've been buddies ever since.



JG: What do you think about the music scene in Seattle these days?

KB: There's tons of great bands - I rarely have a problem finding a kick in the pants if needed. There's a few great venues that still appreciate kickass bands, it's different that it was in those early-'90's days, but that's to be expected. You might have to look a little harder, but there are new bands that spring up that keep it all worthwhile.






No comments:

Post a Comment