Saturday, December 22, 2018

Destination: Palm Springs Part 1

"Destination: Palm Springs No. 1" 2018  Part 1

I traveled quite a bit throughout California, Washington State and Texas to see friends and family near and dear to me this year. I visited Palm Springs three times during 2018 and every time I photographed this unique destination in black and white, I was always drawn to the looming San Jacinto Mountain Range on its western edge. This batholith dominates the background of this Sonoran desert town and demands its portrait to be taken.

Th light colored Mesozoic granite mountain range is otherworldly, an entity of its own. No wonder The Beast with a Million Eyes, The Monster That Challenged the World, and Blood of Dracula's Castle were all filmed in Palm Springs.

I tried to get close to the mountain but most of the property near the base of the mountain is either private property or built so close to it, that it us nearly inaccessible. But I was determined and found a few places in the historic Tennis Court neighborhood that I squeeze a few spaces that allowed me an unfettered view of its surface unclose.

I wasn't prepared for its almost lava like formations and near vertical escarpment. It was indeed an awesome feeling to be so close to the rocks and to see it up close. In the next few weeks, I plan on presenting to you the two other neighborhoods that I captured in Palm Springs, as well as images I captured in Austin, Bodie, Inverness, Oakland, Bridgeport, Orcas Island and Point Reyes.

Wishing you safe travels and happy holidays!

Julie Green
December 22. 2018


"Destination: Palm Springs No. 2" 2018  Part 1

"Destination: Palm Springs No. 3" 2018  Part 1


"Destination: Palm Springs No. 4" 2018  Part 1


"Destination: Palm Springs No. 5" 2018  Part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment