Saturday, December 1, 2018

Flora as Fashion: Alyssa Taylor Wendt

"Flora as Fashion: Alyssa Taylor Wendt" 2018

This week, an ombré cropped cardigan-like shrug began to emerge from this portrait I had taken as I studied it's structure. Although this shrug enveloped only one of her shoulders, I could see how this knitted sweater could conceivably be worn like this. The tendrils of the vines added a unique element to this construction and I accented the berries in a coordinating mustard yellow color.

Artist, scĂ©nariste, and presence - Alyssa Taylor Wendt graciously covered herself in shrubbery for my project. A long time friend and a highly creative, original and feisty hot tamal, Alyssa now lives in Austin, TX and is a part of the artist run ICOSA Collective. Ms. Alyssa was also in a band called Panda in San Francisco. Recalling the power of the blue chakra, I decided to color this piece in honor of this singer and healer.

As I was photographing her, I recalled her body of work "Compartments of Desire" which consisted of organic pieces which evolved into symbolic shamanic armor. In a way, our clothing too is a way for us to project our inner being and protect against outside elements. What we choose to wear becomes our every day armor that gives us courage, flair, sanctuary, shelter and refuge.

Julie Green
December 1, 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment