Saturday, February 23, 2019

Destination: Point Reyes National Seashore

"Destination: Point Reyes No. 1" 2018


Making not taking photographs is important to me. I want to add to the lexicon of imagery, not take something away from it. While traveling last year, I focused on crafting a narrative that would encapsulate the feeling of each place I visited in five images. Like portraiture, landscapes evoke emotions we immediately interpret from our own personal experiences. Those interpretations lead us to read images differently whether they are faces or places.

For example in Destination: Palm Springs, for me the images I made of the desert, with its sandy floor decorated in brittle vegetation and bathed in hard light, conjures feelings of anticipation and vigilance. I want you to experience the powerful wind whipping sand across your face and the dry heat beating down on you.

In todays body of work shot at Point Reyes National Seashore, when I look at these images I feel a sense of trust and contentment. They are quite images that allows you to relax into their silence. I want you to experience the lush green vistas, the dense coastal fog and briny smell of this location.

It is no wonder we gravitate to one color or another throughout our lives and from day to day. From the yellow-orange reds of the desert to the aqua-green blues of the seashore, we emotionally gravitate to different places at different times in our lives which reflect our emotional state. I'm fascinated by color psychology and theory, but I find it even more powerful when I strip out the hue from the image and allow the viewers to color it in themselves.

Julie Green
February 23, 2019

"Destination: Point Reyes No. 2" 2018



"Destination: Point Reyes No. 3" 2018



"Destination: Point Reyes No. 4" 2018



"Destination: Point Reyes No. 5" 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment