Saturday, June 15, 2019

Home as Hat: Amanda Quinn Olivar


"Home as Hat: Amanda Quinn Olivar" 2019
Digital inkjet print and yarn
40 x 40 in.



This final "hat" was created from one of the first photographs taken for this series. Walking around Beverly Hills, we spied this Tudorbethan style gable,  a subset of the Tudor Revival architecture of the 1930's. Once I began to stitch this piece together in yarn, it was evident to me that a drab brown color of the timbers was not going to pop against the wild shrubbery and couldn't possible compete with the dominant patterns in the incredible coat created by Zandra Rhodes which Amanda had on, so I chose the color red.

Amanda, who is currently producing a feature documentary called "Seeing is Believing: Women Direct" and the play & film "Paint Made Flesh", is also an editor for the online magazine Curator. She recently interviewed me about my work as well as my thoughts on this series. You can read the interview here.

I am delighted to see this image int he 40x40 in. format as it is a strong image of a lovely person in a magical setting clothed by one of the world's most fascinating fashion designer. What more could you want?

This piece, along with 32 other images in the exhibition "Home as Hat - Flora as Fashion" can be seen at Muzeumm until July 22nd.

Julie Green
June 15, 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment