Saturday, June 8, 2019

Home as Hat: Andrea Minton Part 3

"Home as Hat: Andrea Minton" 2019
Digital inket print and yarn
40x40 in.

There are four 40x40 in. digital inkjet prints in the exhibition which have been stitched with yarn. Embroidery floss would have gotten lost on this large image, so I tested different types of yarn, rope and thread to see what would work best. I ended up using both a combination of a merino wool and regular cotton to construct this piece.

This simple line stitch was a perfect counterpoint to the busy houndstooth dress Andrea is wearing. It also helped to tie together the architectural element behind her into a hat she is actually wearing. I had originally thought that I would weave another hat for her as I did in the second Home as Hat: Andrea Minton Part 2  7x7 in. print but once I had laid down the first horizontal lines with the only multicolored yarn in the show, I knew it was just the right accent for this piece.

It also looks like a party hat and since my 50th birthday is tomorrow, it seemed like the perfect image for this celebratory weekend!

This print and 32 other embroidered photographs are on view in "Home as Hat - Flora as Fashion" exhibition hanging at Muzeumm until June 22nd.

Julie Green
June 8, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment