Saturday, July 22, 2017

Body Refractions: Shadow

"Body Refractions: Shadow No. 1"


Another bright and sunny week here in Southern California got me looking at the shadows we cast upon the surface of our pool. Our shadows were still being refracted by the undulating water below but had less depth as they were not within the water but merely being cast upon its surface.

We had a lot of fun "posing" for our shadow portraits and as I tried out different angles and gestures to evoke a recognizable human stance, it reminded me of the amazing shadow puppets I had seen last year at the Hong Kong Museum of History. Intricately pierced paper and leather structures were back lit to cast their forms onto the wall, their hinged arms and legs allowing them to walk, sway and dance with ease.

Watching the shadows also reminded me of the Paper Ballet I produced several years ago which incorporated shadow puppetry in the background of the subjects. "Fleeting Perspectives: A Paper Ballet" was a series of 16 images constructed of paper costumes for two dancers, paper sets and correlating shadows. I am obviously drawn to the elusiveness of the shadow and all of its symbology and connotations!

This group of images also got a little help from computer manipulations which I rarely incorporate into my work. However, I felt the use of a filter to enhance and manipulate the rippling water in a more specific direction was exactly what this mono-chromatic group of images needed to emphasis their shadowy forms.

Next week, the final installation of Body Refractions will concentrate on color and form.

Julie Green
July 22, 2017


"Body Refractions: Shadow No. 2"



"Body Refractions: Shadow No. 3"



"Body Refractions: Shadow No. 4"



"Body Refractions: Shadow No. 5"

No comments:

Post a Comment