Saturday, May 23, 2015

X-Ray Spectacles from The Mask Series

"X-Ray Spectacles No. 1" from The Mask Series

If there is anything that I have learned from creating this mask series, it's that I love using the element of humor in my images to convey my observations about humanity. This selections of images was created using the old paper x-ray spex. This toy gag originally marketed in the 1940's, had the pretend power of being able to see through flesh and clothing. The symbology of these glasses allowed my subject to play with the theme of a lecherous man underdressing you with his eyes!

I first remember seeing an ad for x-ray spex in the back of the comic books I used to collect. Along with the chance to purchase whoopee cushions, the amazing sea-monkeys (which coincidentally were invented by Harold von Braunhut who held 195 patents, one being for the new and improved x-ray specs) and stamps, you could also for only a dollar have x-ray vision.

The optical illusion behind the glasses also floats my boat. The construction of the glasses consisted of a feather sandwiched between 2 cardboard lenses to create the illusion of transparency with an outline around the subject and a solid center core.

X-Ray Spectacles is the 13th set of images from The Mask Series. As always, two limited edition prints are available to purchase through my Etsy store

Here's to seeing beyond that which we initially perceive.

Julie Green
May 23, 2015





"X-Ray Spectacles No. 2" from The Mask Series

"X-Ray Spectacles No. 3" from The Mask Series

"X-Ray Spectacles No. 4" from The Mask Series

"X-Ray Spectacles No. 5" from The Mask Series

"X-Ray Spectacles No. 6" from The Mask Series

No comments:

Post a Comment