Saturday, October 14, 2017

A Rock 'n' Roll Checkup with Dr. Frank

Dr. Frank from The Mr. T Experience

I thought it would be a good time of year to check in with some of my favorite musicians out there and who better to start this rock n' roll checkup than with the multi-talented and all around great guy Frank Portman (AKA Dr. Frank) from the seminal punk rock band The Mr. T Experience!

Julie Green
October 14, 2017

Julie Green: Hey Dr. Frank, what have you been up to this past year?

Dr. Frank: My band released King Dork Approximately the Album, featuring songs from the books, initially as a digital download with the paperback edition of the book. As of just last month we've released a vinyl and CD version as well. We've been doing some live shows as well. We've done some work on organizing the back catalog for possible future re-issues (beginning with the digital Shards compilations of odds and ends that hadn't yet made it to the digital catalog.) And I've been working on a couple of books.

JG: What are you doing right now?

DF: Right now drinking some coffee and typing this. Currently my co-conspirators and I are readying the release of the Punkemon seven inch, a never before issued Pokemon-themed "supergroup" put together by Lookout! Records prez Chris Appelgren around the turn of the century. Very limited and obscure but important to me because one of the songs is one of my favorites I've ever done and I never liked the idea that it was "lost." Well, it's "lost" no more! I also have my guitar on my knees because I'm working on more fingerpicking arrangements of old songs, plus some new ones.
 
JG: What are you plans for next year?


DF: Look for more records, including Shards on vinyl, an expanded Show Business Is My Life, a possible best of MTX album, and some new MTX material as well. Gonna continue plugging away at the novels, writing songs, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment