Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Visual Tribute to Jack Welpott

Teacher, Mentor, Master Photographer

"Jack Welpott" by Judy Dater

Jack Welpott was one of my most influential teachers who's instruction at San Francisco State University forever influenced my approach to photography. Natural light was the bush in which we painted our portraits and space was to be opened up and explored as a way to expand the perception of dimension within the confines of our medium.

I was lucky enough to have several master photographers at both SFSU and the San Francisco Academy of Art that made lasting impressions on me. Don Worth, Robin Lesser and Steve Harper all provided a different perspective on photography that helped me to progress technically and emotionally. But it was Jack Welpott who I felt understood and nurtured what I was trying to accomplish in my portraits and I will forever be indebted to his instructions on life and photography. I created the image "Delilah" below while attending his classes. It is interesting to note that all 4 of these photographers were also involved in music...

John Gutmann, another master of photography who's book "The Restless Decade" has been a sort of bible of mine, hired Jack to teach photography in the Art Department at what was then called San Francisco State College, back in 1959. Jack was the first to teach photography classes at SFSU which he continued to do for over 30 years. He met his future wife, Judy Dater while she was attending the photography courses there in the 70's.

His biography states that he was a pioneer "in creating both photography courses and a graduate program (at SFSU). He also taught one of the first history of photography courses at the college/university level. While providing a solid basis in photographic technique, Jack always encouraged an appreciation of the master photographers. Also, he integrated the ideas of Carl G. Jung, the Swiss psychoanalyst, into the reading of photographs, especially dreams, symbolism and the unconscious mind. Jack’s educational goal was to determine the needs of the student, provide constructive criticism and help them develop their own vision." 


Recently, I looked him up to find out how he was doing and was sad to hear the news of his death at the age of 84. I have been moved by his passing and wanted to present to you a selection of images I have created that reflect my personal interpretation and inspiration from his teachings of space and light.

To my teacher and mentor, a visual tribute to Master Photographer, Jack Welpott.

Julie Pavlowski Green
February 15, 2014



"Room in Room #3"  2014

"Room in Room #4"  2014

"Delilah" 1989
"Room in Room #1"  1999

"Room in Room #2"  1999




















No comments:

Post a Comment