Saturday, September 7, 2013

Symbols of Summer




Oh the last days of summer are upon us as we reluctantly begin to settle into the idea of colder, darker days that lay ahead. That is unless you live in Southern California... I'm a Bay Area kid that was used to a cold morning fog that would burn off around noon. Even when we moved to the warmer Contra Costa Valley, which held back the Bay Area fog bank with it's dry golden grass hills, it didn't quite prepare me for the continual warmth down here in Southern California. Our extended summer stretches usually from May through October. Now wonder so many people cool off at the beaches down here.




I've always marvel at the lifeguard huts dotting the sand every 200 feet or so. They remind me of googie architecture in its most utilitarian form. These modern structures from the 50's and 60's remind me of movies from that era such as "Giget" 1959 staring Sandra Dee, "Where the Boys Are" 1960, "Beach Party"1963 with Annete Funicello and Frankie Avalon, "Muscle Beach Party" 1964, "Bikini Beach" 1964, "Pajama Party" 1964, "Beach Blanket Bingo" 1965, "How to Stuff A Wild Bikini" 1965 "Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine" 1965 featuring Vincent Price!





I've been photographing what I used to call "beach huts" for years. But upon a little research find out they are officially called Lifeguard Towers. That term seems a bit more sterile but appropriate since these lifeguards do indeed sit up higher so they can save us from drowning and the occasional nibble from a passing shark. Beach huts, also known as beach cabins or bathing boxes, are actually small enclosures where you can change into your bathing costume. Some people I have heard, own them and store personal items such as folding chairs and towels in them. I have photographed many of these beach huts in Europe but that's for another blog...




All of the structures shown here are from the California coastline. I have seen some whacky variations in the Caribbean and wooden structures in Hawaii. I've noticed that the numbers on the sides of the towers are reflective when using fill flash. Another reminder that these are here to protect and serve in the ocean of fun and relaxation.




I have many fond memories involving these beach shelters. My husband, on our 2nd date, prepared a very romantic dinner for two complete with crab legs, wine and clam chowder in a picnic basket. He ended up surprised me by driving us out to Malibu, where we enjoyed the dinner on one of the huts by candle light.




Another time, I remember thanking my lucky stars there was a real Baywatch team that jumped into action the time I accidentally stepped on a stingray at Topanga Canyon Beach at red tide! Everyone on the beach had my leg propped up with ice as I watched a tiny red line starting to form all the way up my calf. Luckily, David Hasselhoff lowered that leg and immediately put it in hot water! All I remember is being lifted up an onto one of the lifeguard towers to wait for the paramedics to whisk me away to UCLA Medical Center. Out of the sun, I felt protected and safe. I knew they weren't going to let the stingray poison get to my heart!




These little structures make me smile every time I encounter one. Their sturdy little legs jut out from the warm sand patiently waiting and watching, giving shelter for those who risk their lives for ours. They and their occupants are important for keeping us safe and protected while everyone else is enjoying themselves. Selflessly they stand guard ready to be of service.




As the last days of summer slip away, I think of these lifeguard towers as symbols of a season filled with carefree days spent at the beach as I start to dream of another season in the sun.

Julie Pavlowski Green
September 7, 2013





1 comment:

  1. lovely beachy snaps, Julie. i'm so glad you're back from your vacation and posting goodies on here again!
    oooh and i remember that day like it was yesterday, the one when you got stung. how quickly a perfect day at the beach can turn sour. hats off to the Baywatch crew!
    love the 2nd date story. made me smile and say "awww, that Jonnie sure is romantic!"

    ReplyDelete