Saturday, April 30, 2016

Marian Anderson: Wrapped in Records


I cannot discuss the work I did for Tower Records back in the 9T's without sharing a few shots from the photo shoot I did with the incredible Marian Anderson. Her sweet, good natured personality and her tough as nails attitude intrigued me. She was the lead singer for The Insaints, a local Bay Area punk band that were known for their outrageous live shows. 

I asked her to pose for me for a promotional postcard for Tower and she didn't hesitate to jump in. Styled by the amazing Rosalie Jacques of Gypsy Rosalie's Wigs and Vintage, I asked Marian to "wear" the Tower Record bags as a dress. She didn't miss a beat and easily slipped into the less than comfortable plastic making it look glamours and stylish.

Looking back on the day we shot this ad, I remember no one batting an eye while Marian posed for me. I supposed that's what I loved most of all about San Francisco. It was a place where a 6 foot tall goddess with an outrageous wig dressed in plastic bags is nothing that unusual, just another person on the street.

Marian passed away in 2001 but what she left behind was an indelible mark on all that met and knew her. She is now forever immortalize in the documentary film "The Last Fast Ride: The Life, Love and Death of a Punk Goddess" directed by Lilly Scourtis Ayers and produced by the amazing Danielle Bernal, Marian's girlfriend.

It is with great pleasure that I present to you these outtakes in memoriam to the late, great Marian Anderson.

Julie Green
April 30, 2016

















No comments:

Post a Comment