Saturday, October 15, 2016

Goofing Off with The Flakes!



The Flakes live at Pickwick Gardens


I'm a huge FLAKES FAN! These guys are like family to me and it was a thrill to see them do their stuff all over again a few months back. At the Pickwick Gardens in lovely Burbank, CA, The Real Boss Hoss rolled out another great show with an amazing line up including the amazing vocal stylings of Tiny & Mary, instrumental magicians Mercury Futuregrade, SpongeBob himself: Tom Kenny & The Hi-Seas and East LA 1960's Garage Rockers The Premiers!

Front man Peepin' John McDonald was in fine form as was drummer extraordinaire Russell Quan. Guitarist Greg Fenwick and JT on bass kept the goof balls jumping, while Sir Brett Stillo showed us all how it's was really done.

I was recently able to pull out a slim interview with these flakey fellows. A few of the members filled in the blanks but overall these FLAKES stayed true to their name. You can catch them doing an amazing cover of "You're Gonna Miss Me" here.

It it with great pleasure I share with you San Francisco's finest!

Julie Green
October 15, 2016



Julie Green: What shampoo do you like the smell of most and why?

Peepin' John McDonald: I use Head and Shoulders!

Russell Quan: Brett knows these!

Brett Stillo: I use a combination of sage, linseed oil, champagne, and black tar. It makes my hair smell just like sage, linseed oil, champagne, and black tar.

JG: Do you consider yourself a flakey person?

BS: I do consider myself a flakey person, but I tend to be a little to critical and harsh on myself!





JG: When did the band form?

PJ: The Flakes started in the mid 90's I believe with myself, Greg Fenwick on guitar, a guy named Peter who I went to high school with on drums. Later on Brett joined as a second guitarist, and we got Russell on drums after Pete quite because we could never practice cause someone would always flake. Pete actually coined the band name but that's another story!

BS: Founding Flakes? Jeez... 1997? I don't think we actually played a gig until 1998. The whole reason the band got its name is that we kept postponing our first rehearsal for something like three months. The original drummer gave up on us and proclaimed us to be nothing but "a band of Flakes".  And thus a legend was born. A flakey legend, but a legend nonetheless!




JG: This was the first time The Flakes have appeared on state since 2008. What have you guys been up to?

BS: I've been doing less music and more video. Both Commercial and creative. Anybody out there need a music video?


Russell Quan with DJ Sue and Andy Carroll


JG:What is you favorite flavor bubblegum?

BS: My favorite flavor of bubblegum is bubblegum.


Agent Kari 


JG: Have ever thrown up on stage?

BS: I have never thrown up on stage, but there was this time that I went into the rest room right before we were gonna play. i was washing my hands, but the faucet was broken and sprayed water all over the front of my pants, so it totally looked like I had just wet myself. I had no time to try and dry myself off, so I just went with it. Hey, I just wet my pants. That's how much I love Rock n' Roll! How about you?

JG: Who did the fabulous cover of "Back to School"?

RQ: Chuck Berry's responsible for "Back to School" via JT!

PJ: You mean the album cover or the song? The album cover art is by JT, and the song lyrics were written by me and put to the music of "Dear Dad" by Chuck Berry.


Flakes fans Janet Housden and Mark Mastopietro


JG: Coke or Pepsi?

RQ: Pepsi Generation!

PJ: I don't like soda but would probably choose Coke if I was in the mood.

JG: Beatles or Stones?

PJ: Stones all the way!

Russell Quan - Drums

Brett Stillo - Guitar

Peepin' John McDonald - Vox

JT - Bass

Greg Fenwick - Guitar




1 comment: