Saturday, December 17, 2016

Christmas Tree Lane: Color in Motion Part 1

Christmas Tree Lane: Color in Motion No. 1

Since moving to Christmas Tree Lane in Altadena back in May, I've been anticipating what the lights in the giant 108 year old Deadora Ceder trees were going to look like. I had driving down the lane before but couldn't wait to see what these beauties looked like lit up in my very own front yard. Their magical presence has not disappointed and I get a thrill coming home every night to this 96 year tradition.

What has captured my eye is the reflection of these lovely lights refracting on my pool. Earlier this year I began studying light and how we perceive it in my piece "Water Refractions" . So I decided to play with the colored christmas lights floating in my pool at night.

Enjoy the movement of lights here!

On this particular night the full moon was also dancing among the lights, so I strategically placed it on top of the "christmas tree" as seen in Color in Motion No. 1. In No. 2, you can see the reflection of the christmas lights on the bottom and the actual lit trees above, while our white house lights give it a horizontal accent.

There is nothing more lovely for me than to play with color and light. The addition of the refracting element of water is just the cherry on the top!

Here's to the magic of color and light,

Julie Green
December 17, 2016


Christmas Tree Lane: Color in Motion No. 2

Christmas Tree Lane: Color in Motion No. 3

Christmas Tree Lane: Color in Motion No. 4

Christmas Tree Lane: Color in Motion No. 5

No comments:

Post a Comment