Saturday, November 4, 2017

Beneath the Surface: Self Realization Fellowship

"Beneath the Surface: Self Realization Fellowship  No. 1" 2017

I found myself contemplating shapes and reflections on the surface in various bodies of water this year. From my own backyard pool, where I spent a good deal of the summer working on a series of images which culminated in "Body Refractions", I was constantly looking at how water distorted the shadows on the surface and people swimming just beneath the water.

On my travels throughout California and England this year, I began documenting small bodies of water (creeks, lakes and ponds) which held my fascination. Their mirrored surfaces and natural shapes captured my imagination. The still water was punctuated with vegetation and animals not seen in my swimming pool. The more I meditated on these peaceful spots the more I began to see forms emerge on the surface and just beneath the water. I wanted to capture these musings photographically and quickly began to sketch ideas of who and what I was imagining.

"Beneath the Surface: Self Realization Fellowship  No. 1" was a koi pond I captured at Paramahansa Yogananda's spiritual center in Escondido. I was particularly drawn to it as I had just been studying his writings and was touched by his following words: "When the consciousness is withdrawn from the sensory surface of the body and its surroundings and centralized in the cerebrospinal shrines of soul perception, that is the most effective time to pray".

I'm not a praying person and I can only assume he is making a mind and body connection when he describes the "cerebrospinal shrines of soul perception" but it struck me that we humans are bodies of water who can also reflect what is on the surface. Letting the ripples of daily life wash over us by maintaining our centeredness beneath is what makes up our character.

I hope you enjoy the results of my visual investigation as I dive into this body of work.

Julie Green
November 4, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment