Saturday, November 17, 2018

Flora as Fashion: V. Marc Fortress

"Flora as Fashion: V. Marc Fortress" 2018

When I sit down to embroider a portrait, several elements influence what shape, color and pattern I eventually use to embellish each piece. The characteristics of the vegetation I have chosen to place my subjects in front of is the most influential element that helps to shape the garment and influence its eventual pattern. The color selection is often determined from the historical reference a particular piece of clothing conveys.

Yet the one component that has the greatest impact on all of these elements is the personality of the subject I have photographed. In this portrait of V. Marc Fortress, I placed him in front of this bush because I was attracted to its structural branches and repeating patterns that reminded me of V. Marc's dreads.

But it is his smooth, warm, engaging personality that lead me to the shape of the super hero cape. If more people were like V. Marc, we would be living in a peaceful and just world. While I was crafting this cape, it seemed like a natural evolution to render it in warm natural tones. The final result to me, is reminiscent of my grandmother's knitted blankets which were always a cozy and safe place to be.

Julie Green
November 17, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment