Saturday, November 5, 2016

Step Shadows

"Step Shadows No. 1"  from The Sun Shadow Series



I've been exploring the crisp shadows the sun makes down here in Southern California for the last several years and I am still fascinated by the geometric shapes their silhouettes create. Just like seeing objects in the clouds, Sun Shadows (as I refer to them) are as equally fascinating to me.

A recent trip to the Natural History Museum rendered these stark contrasting forms on the steps of it's granite steps. A sense of fluidity takes over when these patterns ripple across the horizontal slabs. I can almost hear a song being played in the repetitive spacing. I'm sure John Cage would have appreciated its angular form and space.

It is for pure pleasure that I explore these abstract forms cast before me. They are a timeless genre that man has seen since the dawn of time but with harder shapes of granite steps and metal poles which lend a more modern graphic to the eye.

Julie Green
November 5, 2016


"Step Shadows No. 2"  from The Sun Shadow Series

"Step Shadows No. 3"  from The Sun Shadow Series

"Step Shadows No. 4"  from The Sun Shadow Series

"Step Shadows No. 5"  from The Sun Shadow Series

No comments:

Post a Comment