Saturday, November 12, 2016

The Great Immortal Wong

"Wong Tai Sin Temple No. 1" 2016

Wong Tai Sin, otherwise known as The Great Immortal Wong, is a Chinese Taoist deity who they say has healing powers. In the dark days we find ourselves in after the US election, I felt it was an appropriate time to share images of contemplation, of a people searching for answers and healing.

I recently visited the temple dedicated to Wong Tai Sin in the northern region of Kowloon in Hong Kong to catch a glimpse of their customs and rituals. As an atheist, I find it fascinating to observe all forms of religion practicing their faith and witnessing how they pray. I do see how people derive a sense of calm and well being from repeating actions performed with a multitude of others doing the same thing. A sense of belonging must envelope their soul.

The ritual of these Taoists lighting incense sticks facinated me and the repetitive action performed by the throngs of people that passed through overwhelmed me. I suppose it with the same awe that I find myself overwhelmed by the masses voting for the unthinkable.

As the saying goes at Wong Tai Sin Temple: "What you request is what you get."

Julie Green
November 12, 2016

"Wong Tai Sin Temple No. 2" 2016

"Wong Tai Sin Temple No. 3" 2016

"Wong Tai Sin Temple No. 4" 2016

"Wong Tai Sin Temple No. 5" 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment