Skip to main content

Fur Walk on Coney Island Pier


 

While visiting New York in July, I stumbled upon NYC FurWalk 17 on Coney Island Pier. I always carry my 1965 Rolleiflex with me when I'm in NY because you never know what you're going to find. Boy was I pleasantly surprised to find these folks in their fursuits casually hanging out and braving the heat on a hot summers day.

Hosted by NYC FurMeets, this large group of people in their anthropomorphic animal costumes were a sight to behold! Most were wearing only partial suits - with heads, paws and tails peaking out from leather jackets, shots and t-shirts. I preferred seeing this furry fandom casually wearing their own clothing. These original characters made up their own persona rather than donning a mainstream costume.

According to their website, "NYC FurMeets started as a small gathering of friends in January 2025, consisting of a trip to B&H and a bit of public suiting along the High Line. One month later, with a bit of hasty planning, both Zane and Fane put together the very first official NYC FurWalk in Manhattan’s Financial District, with attendance peaking at 20 furs. FurWalk has continued on every month since then, with some notable locations including Central Park, Coney Island, and even the NYC Pride March."

"Ever since those humble beginnings, our group has expanded significantly, bringing on more staff, more types of events, and more people into the rapidly growing NYC furry scene. Our team is committed to building and fostering a vibrant furry community right in the heart of the largest cities in the country, for residents and visiting furs alike!"

So if you are ever a visiting fur in New York, be sure to check out their events!

Julie Green
September 7, 2026



















 


Comments